It’s been a couple of weeks now since Instagram launched a brand new feature called Instagram Reels. And we think we’ve got the hang of it now so we’re here to give you the ultimate Instagram Reels walk-through for your school.
What is Instagram Reels? What features are available when creating Reels? How do you create an Instagram Reel? How can you use Instagram Reels in your marketing strategy?
We’re covering all of this, so keep reading to find out more…
What is Instagram Reels?
In simple, Instagram Reels is a brand new feature that allows you to record and create 15-second clips set to music and with various filters, in a fun and engaging way. These clips can then be posted directly to your Instagram Stories as well as to your main feed.
I know what you’re thinking, isn’t that the same as TikTok? Yes, ultimately it is the same sort of premise and many are comparing the two platforms. The main difference is that Reels is built into Instagram so there’s no need to share your Reels on more than one platform whereas we often see TikTok users sharing their TikToks to Instagram as well as to TikTok.
You can record and edit together 15-second video clips and share them to your Stories, Explore Feed and the new Reels tab on your Instagram profile. When creating a Reel you can use music from the wide bank Instagram supplies or you can use your own audio, this appears as “Original Audio”.
As well as introducing this new feature, they’ve also created a new version of the Explore page which is called the Reels Explore Feed. Instagram says, “If your reel is featured in Explore, you’ll receive a notification. Featured reels are a selection of public reels chosen by Instagram to help you discover original content we hope will entertain and inspire you.”
What features are available when creating Reels?
Just like Instagram Stories, there is a range of different features for you to use when creating your Reels plus a couple of extra ones.
Here are all the features you have available to you as well as what they do:
- Timer – if you want to set a timer before recording, this is the feature for you. When you do this, there will be a countdown before the recording starts.
- Speed – this feature allows you to speed up or slow down your video. The options are 0.3x, 0.5x, 1x, 2x and 3x speed.
- Audio – Instagram offers a huge range of music that you can use on your Reels, you can also use your own which is then labelled as “Original Audio’. Business accounts do not have access to this feature due to copyright.
- Effects – just like Stories, you can use a range of effects and filters within your Reels.
How do you create an Instagram Reel?
Now it’s time for you to create your own, here’s a step-by-step guide on how you can do exactly that:
- Go to the same place you would to create a story and select the “Reels” option at the bottom of the screen.
- Choose the music you’d like to use by clicking on the “Audio” feature.
- Choose your video speed by using the “Speed” feature.
- You can also choose to use an “Effect” to use on your Reel.
- Choose how long your clips will be by clicking “Timer”.
- Now you’re ready to record or add footage. Either hold down the record button to capture new footage or upload a video.
- You can start and stop recording multiple times during your 15 seconds by pressing and holding the record button.
- Once you’re happy with the footage, you can edit your clips, use the draw and text tools and add Instagram stickers, just like you would on a normal story.
- When finished, you can add a caption to the Reel and edit the cover photo with a video thumbnail or a photo uploaded from your camera roll.
- You can then share your new Reel to your Stories, your feed, the new Explore Feed and the new Reels tab on your Instagram profile.
How can you use Instagram Reels in your marketing strategy?
Instagram Reels is a fun way for your school to get creative and increase your reach on Instagram in an organic way. As we know, from the success of TikTok, videos like those that you can create on Reels are really engaging and such a fun way to reach your audience.
Even after only having launched at the beginning of August, Instagram Reels is already proving to be a huge success with businesses and creators taking it in their stride and creating some really unique content.
Here are a few different ways your school can use Reels:
- Short tours of different areas around your school.
- Upcoming school events and productions.
- Showcasing the different sports your school offers.
- Top tips for students on revising.
- Science experiments.
- Sneak peek at your prospectus.
What we love most about Reels is that they aren’t designed to be perfectly polished pieces of video, they’re designed to be quick, entertaining and unique. This offers such a brilliant opportunity for schools like yours to show a more authentic side to them.
Overall, we love how easy the Reels feature is to use as well as the look and feel it. We also love the potential this feature offers for schools.
We have a sneaky suspicion that it’s going to take off in a big way. So, what we’re trying to say is, if TikTok’s huge success is anything to go by, it could be worth your school getting in on the Instagram Reels action pretty quickly!